About TU Graz
The group “Sustainable, clean and bioenergy systems” in the Institute of Thermal Engineering at the Graz University of Technology (Austria), conducts experimental and numerical research on thermo-chemical biomass conversion and its integration into renewable bioenergy and biorefinery concepts.
Investigations are focused on the development of novel bioenergy systems and the main thermo-chemical conversion processes: combustion, gasification and pyrolysis; addressing producer gas conditioning and utilization as well as the reduction in emissions of air pollutants, which damage our health and the environment. The group is a key scientific partner of the Austrian biomass competence centre BIOENERGY 2020+ and has a close collaboration with national and international research groups and industrial partners in the bioenergy sector.
- Thermo-chemical biomass conversion: combustion, gasification and pyrolysis.
- Fluidized bed biomass gasification.
- Biomass gasification producer gas conditioning and utilization in SOFCs or methanation.
- Fixed-bed biomass combustion and reduction of air pollutant emissions: NOx, PM, CO, soot, PAHs and tar.
- Reaction mechanisms development and reduction for thermo-chemical biomass conversion (e.g. detailed RAC pyrolysis scheme) as well as gas phase reactions and pollutant formation.
- CFD modelling of turbulent, reactive and multiphase flows. CFD-supported development and optimization of biomass conversion plants.
- Bioenergy and biorefinery concepts for the production of heat and power, cold, liquid and gaseous fuels as well as chemicals.
- System integration of biomass conversion plants in renewable energy concepts.
|Partner||Location||Rig Code||Rig Name||Rig Status||Rig Contact|
|Graz University||Austria||TUG1||Fuel test fluidized bed gasifier||Available||Andres Anca-Couce||Anca-Couce@tugraz.at|
|Graz University||Austria||TUG2||Continuous fluidized bed gasifier, tar cracking and methanation unit||Available||Andres Anca-Couce||Anca-Couce@tugraz.at|
|Graz University||Austria||TUG3||Fuel cell laboratory||Available||Andres Anca-Couce||Anca-Couce@tugraz.at|
|Graz University||Austria||TUG4||Slurry oxy-combustion boiler||Available||Andres Anca-Couce||Anca-Couce@tugraz.at|