TNO, the Netherland’s Organisation of Applied Scientific Research, is an independent not-for-profit research organization, whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole.
TNO has about 3,500 employees working in its main research areas, with energy as a leading theme. TNO’s mission is to support industry and society in general, transforming scientific knowledge into applicable products and processes of economic and societal value. TNO participates, both as coordinator and partner, in a large number of national and international research programmes, including many FP6 and FP7-projects.
TNO and Stichting Energieonderzoek Centrum Nederland (ECN) merged as of April 1 2018.
TNO has the following core activities:
- Solar energy: together with manufacturers of solar panels, production equipment and materials, we ensure that the latest scientific insights are applied in useful concepts for solar cells, modules and processes. The challenge is to make solar power cheaper and by doing so, make it more broadly deployable.
- Wind energy: here we focus on substantially reducing the costs for offshore wind energy, through improved design of farms, turbines and turbine parts, through programs for more efficient maintenance and by integrated application of wind farm system expertise.
- Biomass: we contribute to the bio-based economy with the development of technologies for the efficient conversion of biomass, with a focus on thermochemical processes. Areas of research include pre-treatment, gasification, combustion, gas upgrading, biofuels production, and biorefinery.
- Energy efficiency: for this we collaborate in making industrial processes more efficient using heat pumps, separation technology and novel chemical reactors.
- Environmental assessment: aimed at developing knowledge, technology and practical solutions for a healthy and sustainable environment and use of raw materials.
- Engineering and materials: here we design and create experimental installations, prototypes and high tech components. We support innovative businesses and institutions with cutting-edge technology.
- Policy studies: where engineers, economists, social scientists and environmental experts work together with the technical departments to develop strategic advice to speed up the energy transition.
The TNO Bioenergy and Energy Efficiency unit (BEE) develops advanced uses of biomass, advanced processing and consults on policy development and technical applications. The unit’s R&D programme is divided into four areas: biorefinery (lignocellulosic and seaweed), bioenergy (combustion, gasification, gas cleaning, SNG, biofuels), sustainable process technology and thermal systems. In this unit, about fifty highly qualified professionals work on physical-chemical conversion (combustion, gasification, pyrolysis, pre-treatment/fractionation, catalysis) of biomass and residues in national and international projects with government and industry.
A range of experimental and analytical facilities (combustion, gasification, pyrolysis, gas cleaning, catalytic synthesis, separations) are available for lab and pilot-scale research and development.
Substantial experience also exists in process modelling and integral plant design including economics evaluation, application of mineral residues, emission control and LCA.
TNO also manages the Phyllis2 Database for Biomass and Waste, which provides analytical data of biomass and waste materials and average values for groups of materials. Browse the database for free at phyllis.nl.
|Partner||Location||Rig Code||Rig Name||Rig Status||Rig Contact|
|TNO||Netherlands||TNO1||WOB Lab-scale Reactor for Gasification, Pyrolysis and Combustion||Available||Jaap Kielemail@example.com|
|TNO||Netherlands||TNO2||MILENA/OLGA Lab-scale system for indirect gasification, tar removal (and further gas cleaning and upgrading).||Available||Jaap Kielfirstname.lastname@example.org|